Over the years, the Lavo team has made its green commitment a priority. With this in mind, we implemented a sustainable development approach for all company departments.
Since 2011, a sustainable development committee, made up of representatives from various departments, has been meeting every month to report on company issues. Each year, this committee provides Lavo senior management with a list of objectives, which are then implemented throughout the company.
Products designed to be environment friendly
At Lavo, the priority is to provide effective, high-performance, affordable products, while respecting the environment. To this end:
- Most of our products are biodegradable in compliance with OECD standard 301D. For further information, visitwww.oecd.org.
- A continuous effort is made to provide consumers with increasingly concentrated products (detergents, liquid fabric softeners and bleach). This allows us to use considerably less packaging and water in the manufacturing of these products in order to maximize transportation and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Thanks to our plastic container production methods, our manufacturing process can reuse 15% of the plastic that has entered the composition of the containers.
- Lavo has signed a voluntary code to optimize containers, packaging and printed matter, an initiative of Éco Entreprises Québec.
Research and development focused on sustainable development
The internal research and development team is actively working to advance our products from a sustainable development perspective.
- Our research and development department continuously improves our products to make them biodegradable.
- Lavo favours local producers when obtaining ingredients and raw materials.
- None of our products are tested on animals.
More environment-friendly practices
Not only does Lavo strive to change its formulas in order to make them greener, but it also ensures that its production is as ecologically sound as possible.
- Most of our containers are made in our Montréal and Laval plants, which reduces shipping.
- Our production methods allow us to decrease the use of water in our product composition and manufacturing processes.
- We recycle the cardboard from our boxes and the plastic from our bottles.
- Our plant uses hydroelectricity as its primary source of energy.
Lavo: A responsible employer with strong ties to the community
Lavo believes that sustainable development is not limited to its products. It also feels strongly about employee development and community commitment. Lavo has therefore implemented the following measures:
1) Responsible employer
- Pays particular attention to the specific needs of its employees in order to ensure that they have a safe and comfortable work environment. For example, several initiatives have been put in place to adapt work stations for certain employees with specific needs.
- Implements a joint occupational health and safety committee mandated to prevent and solve problems related to safety throughout the plant. This committee’s actions have allowed us to reduce the number of work-related accidents and days lost.
- Provides new employees with an integration program.
- Makes continuous training available.
- Promotes equitable hiring policies and working conditions.
- Develops measures to facilitate the work-family balance.
2) Community commitment
- Organizes an annual Centraide fundraising campaign involving employees at all levels of the company.
- Supports several community organizations, such as Club des petits déjeuners, Moisson Montréal, Moisson Rive-Sud and Herstreet.
- Acts as a sponsor of the “Dansez pour Équiterre” contest.